Thursday, July 30, 2009

Street Typography: The 59 that started it all


For the past year I have been learning to love type and hate type, to love Helvetica and hate Comic Sans. It was this month that I recognized a use of typography that often goes neglected by passers by. On a trip to visit my girlfriend's relatives, both architects by profession, I was confronted by a garage door scarred by spray paint. The house was in the later stages of construction and not yet painted. To make sure everyone could find the newly built house, the owner sprayed a giant 59 on the garage door. It wasn't a stencil. It was free hand or some could argue custom type. It reminded me of a great use of painted address numbers I'd been shown in Vancouver. It might be a future consideration for this house when ready for its real paint job.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Trevor
    I'm just discovering your website now. What a trip! I'm glad that you appreciated our little freestyle scrawl. It's not there anymore, but the memory lives on! Great work on the blog. Anything that offers new ways of viewing and experiencing the world is awesome in my books!

    ReplyDelete